Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend


Well, the day has finally come that I can celebrate my first Labor Day as a real wage earning Laborer! How exciting. Ricky and I spent most of the weekend relaxing and running errands but it was definitely nice to have a break from work. I had hoped to take a trip to New Braunfels, TX to go tubing on the Guadalupe River but Ricky showed little to no interest in the idea so we ended up staying home. I was able to spend some time at our pool which was a fairly decent alternative. Plus, I bought myself an iPhone which has been keeping me pretty entertained. I've bought a lot of cool things but "the I" as I call it, is by far the coolest. It will probably get it's own blog entry after I learn how to use it. I already have my fair share of apps thanks to Mary Jacqueline who shared an...um...extensive list of her iPhone applications.

After about 6 weeks in Texas, we have found there are things in Texas that are a little different than the average state....
1. People are OBSESSED with the "Lone Star" symbol. (see above) It's usually a boring, ugly copper colored star inside a circle. They put it on their front doors, on fences, on lamps, on EVERYTHING. It's so ugly. I refuse to conform.

2. Ricky and I live in Bexar County. In case you missed it, that's B-E-X-A-R. I assumed that was pronounced "Bex-ar"....wrong. Apparently the accepted pronunciation is: "Bear or Bayer." I really have no idea why or how that works but when I said "Bexar" to the woman at the DMV, she laughed hysterically.

3. Speaking of the DMV, I was shocked to find out that local DMV offices in Texas cannot print your drivers license on site. Instead, all of your information has to be sent to Austin to the Department of Public Safety where the license is processed. It takes 5 to 8 weeks to get your license mailed to you and in the meantime, you get a lame paper receipt to use as a license (it doesn't have a picture on it either!). Oh, and in the event you ever want to get a Texas Driver's License, here's what you need to take: current driver's license, birth certificate (original only) or passport, social security card, receipt from your car registration (not the sticker that's on your car), proof of insurance and if you're female and have been married less than a year, an original marriage license. I fully expected them to ask for a vial of my blood or a stool sample in addition to all that stuff. Ugh.

4. Bakeries in San Antonio all advertise the best Kolaches. I have been seeing this all over town but had no idea what a "Kolache" was. I envisioned something like a donut or an eclair but was disappointed when I saw this picture at a local gas station:



So, in San Antonio, Kolache = Pig in a Blanket

As most of you already know, I'm obsessed with coupons. It just annoys me to spend money that could be saved by a free piece of paper. Ricky and I have made it our goal to save as much as possible during our grocery shopping with manufacturer and store coupons. On a recent trip to Wal-Mart we saved almost 12.00 in coupons! If you're looking for good deals, check out coupons.com. You can print coupons specific to your shopping needs for free. This week, for example, there is a 75 cent coupon for General Mills cereals. We printed it since Ricky eats cereal by the box and were prepared to use it at Wal Mart. Thumbing through the Sunday paper we saw that Walgreens is having a sale this week and all GM cereal is 1.99/box (as opposed to 3.00/box at Wal Mart). With the coupon you can get Cheerios for 1.22/box! Okay, so maybe it's not that exciting but it pretty much made my day.

Finally, I hope everyone was able to participate in the faaaaabulous Chick Fil A promotion today. By wearing your favorite team's logo, you could get a free chicken sandwich. Ricky and I joined several other San Antonians for a nearly free lunch and got to see all the teams represented by patrons. (We were the only ones representing Kentucky, of course!) The funniest "team gear" is shown by the guy below. I guess he couldn't find a jersey or t-shirt in time for lunch. Hahahahaha....






No comments:

Post a Comment