Thursday, June 25, 2009

Woodford and Waffles!



No, we didn't have those two things together but we did experience them both recently and they were both great!

Ricky and I have been saying for about four years that we wanted to visit the Woodford Reserve Distillery in Versailles, KY and we JUST made it there last weekend. (Versailles is about 30 minutes from Lexington.) The drive there was very scenic and green--it really was a pretty day. We arrived, picked up our tickets and waited for the tour to begin. For those of you who don't know, Woodford Reserve is a type of bourbon. All bourbons are whiskeys, but not all whiskeys are bourbons. Personally, I think it tastes horrible but Ricky thinks it's great so he and our friend Nathan were very excited about this trip. Emily (Nathan's wife) and I enjoyed the tour, despite the hot temperatures! We got to see distillery tanks, fermenting pots and copper pot stills dating back to 1838. At the end of the tour we were all privileged to receive a shot of Woodford. Emily and I gladly passed ours on to Ricky and Nathan and they thoroughly enjoyed them. I was happy to see that there were also bourbon balls for us at the end of the tour! I had never had one of these delicious confections before I moved to Kentucky but they are quite the treat. Essentially you take cream, butter and bourbon (Woodford only, please!) and combine it to make a truffle like center. It's covered in dark chocolate and topped with a pecan. Very delicious!
I'm sure Ricky will have more to add to this blog as he is considerably more passionate about bourbon than I am. To learn more on your own, click here: http://www.woodfordreserve.com/age.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx





20 million dollars worth of Woodford!

Oh, and if you would like to learn how to make Bourbon Balls, click here: http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/22292/best-bourbon-balls/recipe/



This morning I decided to test out our new Cuisinart waffle iron. I personally love waffles and am surprised I didn't break this gift open sooner. I used Krusteaz waffle mix and they turned out pretty well. It's non stick which makes for easy clean up and on setting three, the waffles turn out a crispy golden brown. We topped ours with strawberries and powdered sugar. When you visit us, these will certainly be on the agenda!



No comments:

Post a Comment