Friday, February 18, 2011

Shellac: My New Obsession



As a dentist I probably wash my hands 50 times a day. I am constantly fighting dry hands and dehydrated nails. I absolutely love getting manicures and pedicures but was constantly frustrated that my manicures never lasted more than a couple of days. Last month we visited Houston to visit the Atkinson Family and babysit their kiddos so they could attend West Side Story. The next day, Mary Jacqueline and I treated ourselves to manicures at a local salon. We were given the option to try Shellac, a new hybrid manicure instead of the traditional polish. Shellac is a new techniques that uses nail polish infused with chemicals that are activated by UV light. The shellac is applied like nail polish only in several stages. After each stage, you place your hand in a UV light box and the polish is set. It takes about an hour and your nails are fully dry when you leave since the light solidifies the polish. It's guaranteed to last for two weeks. I LOVE it! I've already had it applied twice and I have an appointment tomorrow for another Shellac manicure. The best thing about it is that unlike (horrible) acrylic, Shellac doesn't damage your nails. There are no drills used to file down your natural nails or damage your cuticles. Plus, it removes easily. I usually just peel mine off after two weeks or you can have "Shellac removal" which consists of a cotton ball and mild acetone. My nails have never looked better! You can get Shellac pedicures as well, which I plan on doing this summer.
At Isabelle's European Day Spa in San Antonio, Shellac Manicures are 35.00 for solid colors and 40.00 for french manicure.


For more information on Shellac, see this website:

http://www.cnd.com/Products/Color/shellac-hello.aspx
Pictures compliments of aforementioned website.

1 comment:

  1. So i got my first Shellac manicure today and so far I LOVE it! I am starting a blog about my "Pioneer Adventures" you should follow me! ; )

    ReplyDelete