Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thanksgiving in the Midwest

(Tyrone and Pat's House)

Ricky and I headed back to Kentuckiana for the Thanksgiving holiday. We had been planning this trip for a while and were anxiously awaiting the delicious meals my Mom would provide for us. My sister, Erin, flew in from Florida and our friends, Nathan and Emily, made the drive to Evansville from Richmond! Prior to making the 1.5 hour drive from the Louisville Airport to Evansville we were able to have dinner with Ricky's parents, brother and sister-in-law. It was great to see everyone, although I wasn't quite prepared for the cold dreary weather. I never noticed how early it gets dark in Evansville--4:00PM this time of year!

Of course when you go to your hometown there are some local foods you have to get. Mom and Dad greeted us in Louisville with some of my favorite confections: Donut Bank donut holes. They are delicious vanilla and chocolate cake donut balls coated in a yummy sugary glaze. They also make simple glazed donut holes but the cake ones are my favorite. We also took Emily and Nathan to Ritzy's, a 50's style ice cream and hamburger shop. Their chocolate ice cream has won "Best Chocolate Ice Cream in the Country" several times but my favorite is their "Ooh-ooh Oreo". Everyone had a variety of flavors which were all delicious.

Back at home my Mom prepared a great dinner for us all. Turkey, dressing (stuffing if that's your word of choice), green beans, mashed potatoes, pumpkin casserole (amazing!) and rolls. There was also the staple canned cranberry sauce, which I have never really learned how to eat. It was all wonderful and a big thanks to my Mom for all her hard work. For dessert we had red velvet cake and pound cake from my Mom, haystacks and surprise cookies from Emily. YUM! We also had the Moffats as additional dinner guests. The last time I saw Brook, she was pregnant with Baby Esme. Now the Moffats live here in the US with 5 month old Esme. She's so cute!

(Erin, Esme, Lauren)
Erin takes a pretend ride in Mom and Dad's new SUV.
Emily modeling a HOT Christmas sweater at Gordman's on Black Friday.

Ricky and Nathan in an intense game of NERTS.
Me rockin' my Mom's Snuggie.
Ricky looks like he's trying to throw Esme on the ground.
Group photo after dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment