Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What Dr. Lauren Does at Work



For the most part, I can say that I love my job. There are days that are harder than others but overall, being a dentist is pretty cool. I think I'll love it even more when I get to run my very own practice but only after I develop my burgeoning dental skills. Yesterday I saw one of my favorite patients who hasn't smiled in years because of some pretty bad cavities in in lateral incisors (the small teeth next to your two front teeth). He and his wife just started their own business and don't have any dental insurance and were worried that he wouldn't be able to get the care that he really needs. Many community health centers claim to do, "No cosmetic dentistry" which I don't really understand considering ALL dentistry is cosmetic. I don't remember learning two standards in dental school, one for cosmetic and one for...umm...non-cosmetic? Anyway, I just ignore what the other general dentists say in our group and do work that I'm proud of. Here are some pictures of the case I did yesterday. Needless to say, the patient was very happy, so much so that he was caught giving his wife "inappropriate" PDA in the lobby afterwards. This was done with composite, or tooth colored filling material, not crowns or veneers. The slight darkness you see in his teeth in the final picture is from the lighting in the operatory, not from any cavities I left behind! Oh, and sorry for the weird pinkish skin in the first shot but I needed more contrast to show how crummy his teeth were before.





Before....


After!!













1 comment:

  1. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! On the pre-makeover teeth AND the PDA! Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete